Connect with us

News

Two allegedly killed, suspect shot dead in London terrorist attack

Published

on

Two persons were reportedly killed and a suspect shot dead following a terrorist attack near London Bridge on Friday.

According to BBC, two members of the public died after the attack.

Head of Britain’s counter-terrorism policing, Neil Basu told reporters that although the attack was declared as a ‘terrorist incident” the police are keeping an open mind on the possible motive.

The male suspect who was reportedly shot dead on London Bridge was wearing a ‘hoax explosive device,” Basu added.
Reacting, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that Basu had briefed him on the attack.
“This is an appalling incident and all my thoughts are with the victims and their families,” Johnson tweeted.

READ ALSO  Selling Indian hemp is in my blood – Suspect re-arrested after jail term

Basu had said that the police were called just before 2 pm (1400 GMT) “to a stabbing at a premises near to London Bridge.
“A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from City of London Police and I can confirm that this suspect died at the scene.

“Our heartfelt sympathies go out to those anxiously awaiting news from loved ones.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

SARS officer allegedly kills fruit seller in Abia

Published

on

The Abia State Commissioner of Police, Mr Eneh Okon, has confirmed the alleged killing of one Kasarachi Moses by SARS officers in Ubakala, Umuahia South Local Government Area.

This is even as the residents of Akpunmiri Ubakala, on Thursday, took to the streets to protest the death of their kinsman.

DAILY POST gathered that the deceased was hit by a stray bullet from the gun of one of the policemen, who were reportedly trailing suspected armed robbers, on Wednesday.

A source in the community, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the victim died of the bullet injury she sustained.

The source lamented that the Special Anti-Robbery Squad operatives were in the habit of raiding the area to arrest commercial motorcyclists.

He added that it was during one of such raids that the deceased was hit by a stray bullet.

The source said, “The victim was a middle-aged woman, who sold fruits by the roadside. She was also the one taking care of her aged mother, who had been sick.

“It is a pity that she died in such a manner due to the recklessness of the policemen. All we want is justice in this matter. We want the state police command to investigate the incident and bring the culprits to justice.”

READ ALSO  George Maxwell, Eland in trouble as court stops Emeka Offor, NPDC from transferring interest to SEPLAT

However, CP Okon, in a telephone interview on Friday, said that he was in Abuja for an official assignment when he learnt of the incident.

Okon narrated, “We got a distress call that armed robbers were operating at Ubakala and the SARS operatives responded to the distress call.

“But on sighting the SARS operatives, the armed robbers, who were five in number and operating in military uniform, started shooting at the policemen.
“It was during the exchange of gunfire that a stray bullet hit the victim, who later died in hospital.

“One of the suspects dropped his weapon and fled the scene, while the Sienna SUV used by the policemen for the operation had a lot of bullet holes.”

Okon added that a panel of inquiry had been set up to investigate the incident.

He urged members of the public to remain calm as efforts were ongoing to restore peace in the area.

He assured residents of the state that the command was working round the clock to ensure that they enjoyed a peaceful Christmas and New Year celebrations.

Continue Reading

News

Islamic group reacts as CJN calls for constitution amendment to accommodate Sharia law

Published

on

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has reacted to the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Muhammad Tanko’s call for constitutional amendments to accommodate some peculiarities of Shariah law which have been ignored for so long.

The CJN made the statement while declaring open the 20th Annual Judges Conference at the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, Kaduna State, yesterday.

The CJN was represented by Justice Muhammad Danjuma, the Grand Khadi of Niger State.

MURIC backed the CJN’s suggestion, adding that the current constitution was a child of British colonial Christianisation of the country which had failed to take into consideration the multi-religious nature of the Nigerian nation.

MURIC spoke through its director, Professor Ishaq Akintola, who issued a press statement to DAILY POST on the matter, Friday.

The statement added, “The CJN has our full backing on this. The British colonial government bequeathed a legacy of Christianisation to the Nigerian nation. Muslims were not comfortable with it but the British did not listen.

“The British did not give a damn. The Northern Muslims resisted and the British invaded the North.

“Muslim resistance was brutally broken by the ruthless massacre of thousands of Muslim freedom fighters in Hausaland, particularly in Burmi (1903), Satiru (1906) and Zinder (1917).

“Even those who surrounded were not spared as they were mowed down with machine guns. Thereafter, the British victors curtailed Islamic landmarks.

“Islam had arrived in Karnem Borno in the year 1085 (818 years before the invasion of the North by the British) during the reign of King Humi Jilmi while Christianity was first preached in 1842 (757 years after the advent of Islam) under the Agacia tree in Badagry.

“As far as we are concerned, therefore, the British who brought Christianity to Nigeria spread their religion by force after invading the North, after intimidating the South West and after subdueing the Muslims who had been practicing their faith for more than 800 years. They used excessive force against the Muslims and carried out barbaric and extra-judicial killings.

“The bombardment of Lagos in 1851 by Commodore Captain R. W. Bruce during the ‘Boiling Battle’ (Ogun Ahoyaya) and the subsequent surrender of the city was the first operation ‘shock and awe’ designed to cow Southerners. It was equally intended to send a strong message to the North.

“The booming of cannon shells and other bombs was hitherto unknown to the city. Lagos quickly put its tail between its legs like a frightened dog and other cities in the South West took the cue.

“It was a fait accompli. The Muslim population cautioned its membership against courting the ire of the colonial masters. This surrender paved the way for the creation of the Lagos Colony ten years later (1861).

“From then onwards, the city of Lagos which by 1775 had more than fifty Islamic schools, opened the floodgate to the intimidation and coercion of Muslim children in colonial schools. This persecution has lasted to date.

“We have gone down the lanes of history because today was born from the wombs of yesterday. Muslims in Yorubaland put up no armed resistance to colonial invasion and forceful conversion whereas Northern Muslims died in their thousands resisting colonial invasion.

“This resulted in the bold and ruthless conversion of Muslims to Christianity in the South West whereas the colonialists exercised caution in their dealing with Northern Muslims.

“This situation also informed British adoption of indirect rule in the North. Nobody should ask MURIC to forget the history of Nigerian Muslims. Brutalisation of Muslims by the British marauders is part of our history just as the forceful abandonment of Islamic landmarks as ordered by the British Christian evangelists.

READ ALSO  Gunmen kill man, abduct 2 children in Abuja

“It was after the British had killed all Muslims who resisted their occupation of Northern Nigeria and after they had imposed restrictions on the Shariah that they established a Christian-oriented administration.

“Western education through which thousands of Muslims were forcefully converted was also introduced to replace Islamic education which was already popular before the arrival of the British.

“This was the situation until Nigeria obtained independence in 1960 and the Muslims continued to bear the brunt of subjection to a Christian-oriented system.

“Unfortunately successive regimes in post-independence Nigeria have failed to review the system after the exit of the British in spite of repeated demands. As a result of this, the Muslims remain unintegrated, unaccommodated and displeased.

“Without attempting to justify violent uprisings, it is our contention that this lop-sidedness is partly responsible for the interreligious clashes which Nigeria has experienced to date, including, of course, Boko Haram insurgency.

“The system we run in this country is not only alien to Muslim culture, it has marginalised the Muslim population. Our democracy is deceptive in as much as Muslims who form the largest segment of the population are not integrated into the system. Participatory democracy is the global best practice. But not in Nigeria.

“Nigeria’s democracy excludes the Muslims. Our weekends shut Muslims out. It is the entire monopoly of Christians. Saturday and Sunday are free but Friday is not.

“The Muslim girl-child goes to school with tears in her eyes because she must not enter the school with hijab on her head. There is no single Shariah Appeal Court in the entire South West and Muslims in that sub-region are subjected to Christian common law in all civil matters.

“Muslim marriages conducted inside mosques are not recognised but those held in churches are sacrosanct. This democracy is fraudulent.

“Christian women enjoy the monopoly of recruitment into the army, navy, police, civil defence, traffic wardens, immigrations, customs, etc but Muslim women cannot because those uniformed agencies will not recruit users of hijab. Yet Muslim police women and soldiers use hijab in Britain, United States, Ireland, etc. Female Muslim graduates therefore remain jobless and impoverished while their Christian counterparts smile to the banks.

“Yet it was not so ab initio. It was the British Christian colonialists who changed the system to favour Christians only. This is not good enough and we need to sit down like neighbours to renegotiate our nationhood.

“It is always better to jaw-jaw than to war-war. If we all condemn the Boko Haram style, what alternative have we put forward?

“MURIC therefore embraces the CJN’s idea of the need for constitutional amendment. It is even belated. It is part of restructuring.

“We hope the restructuring camp will welcome the CJN’s idea because it is not going to be about Muslim demands alone but a comprehensive one. We call for objectivity in this matter.

“Those who always oppose anything which is likely to benefit Muslims are urged to consider this initiative with an open mind. Constitutional amendment has all the potentials to usher in peace and tranquillity if we approach it with sincerity.”

Continue Reading

News

APC crisis: Oshiomhole told to stay away from Edo State

Published

on

A group, Edo Youth Vanguard, has warned a former Governor of Edo State and the national leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to steer clear from the State.

The warning came on the heels of the APC rally scheduled for Friday, in Benin, the state capital.

The youth group also called on President Muhammadu Buhari to call Oshiomhole to order over his support for a rally that has the potential of creating crisis and breaching the fragile peace in the state.

A faction of the party in the state, which has the backing of Oshiomhole, had fixed Friday for a rally to receive defectors into the party without the knowledge of the state governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki and the party’s state chairman, Mr Anselm Ojezua.

Governor Obaseki travelled on Tuesday with President Buhari to Egypt on national assignment and they are expected to return today.

In a statement issued in Benin by its president, Nosakhare Oseghale and Secretary-General, Edward Ikhide, the EYV, said, “We are amused that some politicians are planning an ill-conceived political rally for Friday and it’s being done without the knowledge of the state’s Chief Security Officer, Governor Godwin Obaseki, who is on a national assignment with President Muhammadu Buhari.

READ ALSO  Assassins kill 36-year-old herbalist in Ondo

“More curious in the ill-timed proposed rally was the complete and deliberate neglect of the party’s state executive led by its chairman, Mr Anslem Ojezua. So, the question begging for answer is who is the Abuja team organizing the rally for?

“This is the yuletide season and there are already movements within and outside the state, why the desperation to pull down the fragile peace in our state just to prove that a deteriorating influence is still potent?

“For all intents and purposes, this planned rally is provocative and highly susceptible to violence. How can you guarantee the safety of Edo people in a rally where neither the state governor, who is the leader of the APC in Edo State, nor other leaders of the party is aware of the purported declaration rally?”

He urged President Buhari to put a check on the activities of Oshiomhole, adding that, “Edo State is greater than any man or interest.”

Continue Reading

Trending