Connect with us

News

Osoba sends message to NASS

Published

on

A former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Olusegun Osoba, on Monday, called on the National Assembly to include electronic voting as part of the amendment to the Electoral Act.

Osoba, who spoke at an event marking 160 years of journalism in Nigeria, in Abeokuta, said that Nigeria had no excuse not to digitalise its voting process.

According to him, it was regrettable that the electoral process in Nigeria had been bastardised.

He renewed the call for the amendment of the Electoral Act, saying that vote buying, rigging and ballot box snatching were among the challenges plaguing the country’s electoral process, NAN reports.

“I’m shocked at what we have now (electoral process) because it is worse than corruption,” Osoba said.

The former governor stated that the inclusion of electronic voting in the Electoral Act would put an end to electoral fraud in Nigeria.

READ ALSO  What court decided as EFCC re-arraigns Atiku’s lawyer, son-in-law

“The day we stop selling our votes, that day, we will get it right and start electing the right people into political offices.

“That is why I have been pushing for the amendment to the Electoral Act. Let us all support and fight for the review of the act. Let us fight for electronic voting.

“We need to go electronic in voting in Nigeria because Ghana has gone electronic; Kenyan has gone electronic; we have no excuse not to get digital in our electoral process; the day of analogue system is gone,” Osoba said.

He attributed the falling standard of journalism in Nigeria to poor remuneration of journalists, saying it was unpardonable that employers should owe salaries.

“It is an offence unto God and even man,” he said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

IPOB fires back at Army over video of Boko Haram killing soldiers

Published

on

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has hit back at the Nigerian army, warning it not to “drag” the group into its “pitiful plight”, in the fight against Boko Haram.

Spokesman of the group, Emma Powerful, stated this in a statement on Thursday, in reaction to claims made by the army, that it was behind the circulation of a recent video which showed Boko Haram insurgents killing Nigerian soldiers.

The security agency alleged that IPOB doctored the video as a tool for propaganda and that the incident did not happen in Nigeria.

“It is quite pathetic how the Nigerian army would belittle themselves in the eyes of the world by involving IPOB in their futile attempt to deflect attention from their failed effort to fight terrorism.

READ ALSO  Suspected kidnappers drop letters in family compound of abducted US-based Professor

“The Nigerian Army must understand that Biafra is not Nigeria. IPOB have more important things to do that engaging in doctoring a video that is so clear for all to see.

“The video of Boko Haram torturing and humiliating the Nigerian Army … is real and verifiable. IPOB has nothing to do with the trending video.

“This shameful statement from Nigeria Army proves that the Nigeria Army and her sister security outfits in Nigeria have lost control of their phony war against Boko Haram and as usual are looking to blame IPOB for their pitiful plight,” Powerful said in a statement.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Sowore: Buhari govt orders DSS to hand over case

Published

on

The Attorney-General of the Federation, AGF, and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, has directed the Department of State Service, DSS, to hands-off the prosecution of Omoyele Sowore, convener of RevolutionNow Movement.

Malami’s directive was contained in a statement by his Media Aide, Umar Gwandu, on Friday.

The AGF ordered the DSS to forward the case file in respect of the charge pending against Sowore before the Federal High Court in Abuja, to his office.

Ordering the Federal Ministry of Justice to immediately take over the prosecution of all charges against Sowore, in line with the provisions of Sections 150(1) and 174 (1) (a-c) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), Malami insisted that the Federal Government was committed to respecting the sanctity of the rule of law, protecting the virtues of human rights and ensuring speedy dispensation of justice in the matter.

“As part of deliberate efforts to probe emerging issues related to the recent imbroglio related to Omoyele Sowore’s case and for speedy dispensation of justice, the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice has requested that the case file in respect of charge pending before the Federal High Court, Abuja be forwarded to his office”.

The request for the transfer of the case to the office of the AGF was contained in a letter dated December 11, 2019, and addressed to the Director-General of the DSS, National Headquarters, Abuja.

READ ALSO  Panic as Abiodun set to reveal govt decision on Amosun’s 75 promoted Obas

The Solicitor General of the Federation and the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Justice, Dayo Apata, SAN, who signed the letter, referred to an initial letter the DSS wrote to the AGF on September 9, 2019.

According to the statement, Apata’s letter to the secret service, read: “The Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice upon a further review of the case has directed the immediate takeover of the prosecution of all charges in respect of Omoyole Sowore by the Federal Ministry of Justice in line with the provisions of Sections 150(1) and 174 (1) (a-c) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended)”.

It said the letter requested the DSS DG to “promptly forward all the case files” in respect of Omoyele Sowore to the office of the AGF and Minister of Justice.

Sowore and his co-defendant, Olawale Bakare also known as Mandate are facing a seven-count treasonable felony charge.

In the charge marked FHC/ ABJ/CR/235/2019, Sowore and Bakare are accused of conspiracy, money laundering, cyber-stalking and insulting President Muhammadu Buhari.

Sowore has been in custody of the DSS after he was arrested for calling for a revolution in Nigeria.

DSS had, however, failed to release the activist despite court orders that he should be released.

Continue Reading

News

Police apprehend farther for allegedly killing his 3 year-old-son in Kano

Published

on

The Police in Kano State have arrested a 40-year-old man identified as Musbahu, for allegedly killing his three-year-old son.

Spokesperson of the command, DSP Abdullahi Haruna, confirmed the incident to DAILY POST on Friday.

He explained that the incident happened on Thursday at Mahaukaci Quarter in Gaya Local Government Area of Kano State.

Haruna said the suspect was in police custody and will be charged to court after the investigation.

READ ALSO  BREAKING: Court reduces Sowore’s bail from N100m

Speaking to DAILY POST, the suspect, who admitted to have committed the crime, said he did it to save his son and himself from embarrassment as the child was born out of wedlock and he has no body to take care of him.

Continue Reading

Trending